The four TRIPIL corporations employ over 50 staff at the Washington main office, most of whom have extensive educational and work experience backgrounds. TRIPIL has an affirmative action policy to seek employees with disabilities and meets the requirements in the CIL standards of having over 51% of the board, management, and staff be persons with disabilities.
Our staff, the majority of whom self-identify as having a disability, are personable, creative problem-solvers with good organization, documentation, and interpersonal skills.
All try to maintain a thorough general understanding of the needs of all persons with disabilities, so as better to advise consumers of available resources.
TRIPIL professionals are an active part of the independent living nationwide. Staff members serve on numerous committees, boards of directors, and advisory committees. These include the National Council on Independent Living, National Disabilities Council, Pennsylvania Statewide Independent Living Council, Independent Living Conference Steering Committee, National ADAPT Leadership, and the Association of Programs on Rural Independent Living, just to name a few. TRIPIL has also received Pennsylvania state awards for leadership and is viewed nationally as one of the best-known rural centers for independent living.
Tri-County Patriots for Independent Living (Patriots) Staff
Together, our Patriots staff has over 100 years of experience in providing independent living core services!An Independent Living Specialist (ILS) does many things:
- Conducting independent living skills training, in accordance with the Independent Living philosophy including assisting consumers with:
- Identifying goals, then developing and implementing individualized plans to meet those goals.
- Providing information and referral to other agencies of interest.
- Advice on career/job development, money management, household management, and other daily living skills.
- Addressing concerns regarding public access, health care, housing, transportation, and assistive technology.
- Encouraging peer support, socialization, assertiveness, and advocacy for oneself and others.
- Providing transition assistance, from one stage of life to another (youth to adulthood; a nursing home into one’s own home; etc.).
- Outreach to the wider community.
Individual staff members coordinate TRIPIL’s programs; see What We Do for more information on those.
TRIPIL Services Staff
TRIPIL Services has a small office staff that coordinates the work activities of over 600 direct care workers (or attendants) providing personal assistance services (PAS).
Over 90% of these direct care workers participate in the Consumer Delegated Employer Model. These workers are represented in a collective bargaining agreement with United Homecare Workers of Pennsylvania (UHWP). The balance of the attendants work as a supporting staff in the regular Agency Model of attendant care.
TRIPIL has a long history of fighting to expand the option where people with disabilities are in full control of the services they receive. Through the Consumer Delegated Employer Model, consumers assist in the selection, training, and supervision of their attendant.
TRIPIL, Inc. (Parent) Staff
The small TRIPIL Parent office staff provides services to each of the other corporations.